|Coronavirus (COVID-19) update – Thursday 27 May
From midnight tonight, Thursday 27 May, Victoria will enter a 7-day circuit breaker lockdown in response to the growing COVID outbreak.
The Melbourne Market, including the fruit and vegetable market and the flower market, remains open with regular trading hours; we are essential in Victoria’s fresh produce supply chain.
In addition to market operational changes announced earlier this week, the following changes will come into effect at the Melbourne Market from midnight tonight:
- Fitted face masks will be required to be worn at all times while on market land, in both indoor and outdoor locations. Market Relations Officers will be stationed at Gate 1, and will be checking to ensure all market users have a face mask before they enter the market.
- Market cafes will no longer provide seated service and will return to take away service only.
Access to the market is limited to essential personnel only. Any visitors registering at Gate 1 security will be questioned as to the nature of their visit. If the purpose of the visit is not deemed essential, access to the market will not be granted.
You should regularly check to see if you have attended any COVID exposure sites and follow relevant advice.
Any access cardholders from external market-related businesses listed as tier 1 or 2 exposure sites will not be able to enter the market until quarantine periods have passed and proof of a negative COVID test is presented.
Click here to access the current list of Victorian exposure sites.
QR code scanners
The MMA encourages all market businesses to post QR code scanners at the entrance to their premises to assist with fast contact tracing should the need arise.
If you visit any market premise with a QR code on display, we ask that you register before entering the store, warehouse or work area.
You can register and print a QR code at www.coronavirus.vic.gov.au/register-to-use-vic-gov-qr-code-service
Reducing the risk of COVID-19 at the Market
The critical piece of advice for Market users is, if you are feeling unwell, get tested immediately and isolate until you receive a negative result.
Do not attend the Market for work, or to purchase flowers or produce, if you are feeling unwell in any way.
When at the Melbourne Market, you must:
- Think about how you can alter your daily tasks to minimise direct close contact with others around you
- Do not shake hands, hug, kiss hello or similar
- Wash and sanitise hands regularly
- Keep a distance of at least 1.5 metres between yourself and fellow Market users
- Wear your face mask at all times
As an essential part of the food and flower supply chain, it is critical we continue to do all that we can to minimise the risks associated with COVID-19. Throughout the past year, market users have done a commendable job, coming together and following the rules, which has enabled the market to remain open.
We thank those in the market community who continue to do the right thing.
A summary of previous COVID-19 updates and operational changes are kept on our website; click here to access.
If you have any further questions, you can call the 24-hour security number, 0408 334 555.