Melbourne Market is administered by the Melbourne Market Authority (MMA), established under the Melbourne Market Act 1977.
The MMA’s objectives are to:
- Provide a commercially viable wholesale facility for the efficient distribution of fresh produce
- Optimise returns on land and assets controlled and managed by the Authority
- Ensure a fair and competitive environment for the wholesale trading of produce.
The functions of the MMA are to:
- Control, maintain and manage the Melbourne Market
- Promote the use of the facilities of the Melbourne Market
- Provide advice and information to the Minister on matters relating to the Market and its use by industry and on industry related matters generally
- Do all things necessary or convenient to enable achievement of its objects
- Do all things the Authority is authorised or required to do under the relevant Act or other laws.
The Melbourne Market will be recognised Australia‐wide as an industry leader, committed to innovation, quality and operational excellence. Utilising the wholesale market as the anchor, the market precinct will become a fresh produce processing, distribution and logistics centre of international significance.
To maintain a vibrant and sustainable market by responding proactively to the fundamental shifts in the fresh produce trading environment and helping our clients to adapt.
To realise our vision and mission, the MMA has a three year rolling business plan detailing strategies and initiatives for implementation. Key highlights:
- Financial – to grow and diversify the revenue base and minimise operating costs without compromising outcomes for tenants via initiatives such as new operating rules and recycling.
- Stakeholder management – effective, and collaborative relationships with key stakeholders to deliver on opportunities.
- People and culture – attract and retain appropriately skilled and experienced employees to ensure the delivery of the MMA’s objectives in an environment that is both challenging and rewarding.
- Process excellence – continuously improve the utilisation of MMA’s Business Management System to maximise efficiency and effectiveness for all Market users.
We approach our work and each other with a commitment to:
- engaging regularly with our stakeholders, including all Market participants, the local community and all levels of Government
- fostering a customer centric culture
- acting with honesty, integrity and respect for others, and
- facilitating opportunities to grow both our tenants’ operations and Victoria’s fresh produce economy.
- maintaining accreditation to ISO 9001 Quality Management, the world’s most-recognised quality management standard.