|Coronavirus (COVID-19) update – Friday 27th March 2020
- The Melbourne Market, including both the fruit and vegetable market and the flower market, continues to remain open
- March invoices/statements postponed while government works through options for possible rent relief
This crisis is unprecedented, and the MMA understands that market tenants face extraordinary challenges in the immediate future. As a result, the MMA has postponed the issuing of tax invoices/statements to all tenants, which were due on Friday 13 March, for the April to June quarter.
The State government is currently working through options for possible rent relief for eligible tenants. While we don’t know precisely what possible rent relief might look like just yet, we are approaching the issue with flexibility, and with our tenants’ best interests front and centre as we await further clarification on this issue.
Both the Federal and Victorian Government have already announced a range of measures to support small and medium businesses through this crisis.
The below links are provide details for seeking financial assistance and business support should you need it.
business.gov.au – sole traders
business.gov.au – businesses
Reducing the risk of COVID-19 at the Market
The critical piece of advice for Market users is, if you are feeling unwell, you should stay at home and seek medical advice. Do not attend the Market for work, or to purchase flowers or produce, if you are feeling unwell in any way.
The Federal and State Government continue to stress the importance of social distancing.
When at the Market you should be:
- Refraining from handshaking, hugging, kissing hello or similar
- Where possible, keeping a distance of 1.5 metres between yourself and fellow Market users
- You should think about how you can alter your daily tasks to minimise direct close contact with others around you
The MMA is investigating a range of additional health and safety measures to help stop the spread of the virus; we will update you on any changes to Market procedure and operations as they occur.
If you have any further questions, you can call the 24-hour security number, 0408 334 555.