This Week in the Market, Edition 96 – 23 August 2016
In today’s This Week in the Market, reminder for the second power shut down 23, 24 & 31 August, Market trading hours consultation continues and what you need to know about upcoming site maintenance.
Update on the second power shut down for all warehouse tenants
The site wide power shut down on Saturday was completed successfully. It’s now time for stage two which includes maintenance for all substations on site on 23, 24 and 31 August.
This means, warehouses within the Market will have no power for three hours on either 23, 24 or 31 August.
The following schedule of power shut downs will occur. Please refer to the chart below to see when your tenancy will be effected.
Note: Fruit and vegetable stores and mezzanine level offices will not be impacted by this second shut down.
Further details on the power shut down can be found at on the Melbourne Market website or contact the MMA directly via the Help Desk on 0437 006 459.
Market trading hours
Last week, McKinna et al, who have been appointed to run a consultation on Market trading hours, visited the Market. They walked through the Market on Tuesday and spoke to many of you as well as meet with all the Advisory Committees.
Over the last two weeks we’ve looked at critical success factors of a wholesale market as well as what we learnt from the previous review of hours in 2014. So what’s happening around the rest of the country? What hours do the other central markets trade and what insights can we gain from their operations?
The chart below shows the various trading hours around the country.
Do you know Market users from any of these Markets? Why not give them a call and talk to them about the pros and cons of their trading hours.
Make sure your opinion is heard! Contact McKinna et al directly on 9696 1966 or email email@example.com alternatively you can talk with your Advisory Committee members.
Forklift and electric vehicle registrations – time is running out!
Time is running out to make sure your forklift or electric vehicle is registered with both VicRoads and the MMA.
All vehicles are required to be registered to ensure you, or any other parties, are covered in the event of an accident.
Over the past few weeks we’ve been running a blitz on registrations.
If you have an unregistered forklift or electric vehicle, here’s what you need to do:
- Ensure your vehicle is registered with VicRoads,
- Complete the Melbourne Market registration form available online here,
- Return your completed form to the Melbourne Market Customer Service Centre between 4:00am and 11:00am Monday to Friday or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- You must register your forklift or electric vehicle (or have made other arrangements with the MMA) prior to 31 August 2016 to avoid penalties.
After this date, if you, or any of your employees are found operating an unregistered vehicle (as per clause 9.2(a) of the Market operating rules) the following penalties may apply:
- 3 demerit points against the card holder
- 1 strike against the business
- vehicle will be towed offsite at owners expense (as per clause 9.5(d) of the Market operating rules).
For more information on registering your vehicle visit the Melbourne Market website or contact the Customer Service Centre on 9258 6123 between 4:00am and 11:00am Monday to Friday.
Forklift/electric vehicle storage re-numbering
In September, the MMA will be renumbering the forklift and electric vehicle bays in all three forklift and electric vehicle storage areas (otherwise known as EFS 1, EFS 2 and EFS 3).
Renumbering will improve services in the EFS buildings by:
- ensuring access to power for electric vehicles,
- reducing uncertainty around bay allocations, and
- creating additional bays.
The renumbering will take place over a one week period, and those with allocated storage will be notified with further information in the coming weeks.
In the meantime, here are the key points you need to know.
- Bay holders should begin to clean up their bays immediately including removing any pallets or rubbish from within EFS buildings.
- Forklift and electric vehicle bays are for vehicles only. No pallets, bins or rubbish in these areas at any time. Penalties will apply.
- Bay allocations must be adhered to. If there is another vehicle parked on your bay, please call the customer service centre on 9258 6123 immediately.
- An expression of interest will be announced shortly for additional bays.
Disabled toilet access
Recently we’ve been working to upgrade the locks on the disabled toilets. This work has now been completed and all disabled toilets now require swipe access for entry.
This work ensures disabled toilets are clean and available for those who need them.
If you require access to disabled toilets in the Market, please visit the Customer Service Centre between 4:00am and 11:00am Monday to Friday or call them on 9258 6123 to have this access applied to your Market access card.
Secondary power shut downs
- 23, 24 and 31 August
Forklift and electric vehicle storage renumbering
- 3 September 2016
Ask the MMA
If you’ve got a question for the MMA email it to email@example.com.