This Week in the Market, Edition 111 – 13 December 2016
In today’s This Week in the Market, we provide you with an update on last week’s minor fire in the Market, see how Market produce is making a difference at Melbourne Zoo and we congratulate award recipients.
Fire in the Market – 8 December 2016
At 6:50am on Thursday 8 December there was a minor fire in the cardboard maxicage located at Satellite Recycling Station 3. The Metropolitan Fire Brigade attended, extinguished the fire and secured the area with the assistance of Market Relations Officers.
It is believe the fire was started by a Market user placing smouldering cardboard into the maxicage.
No matter how big or small, if you see a fire of any sort on site, Market users have an obligation to follow the Emergency Procedures Guideline.
What to do if you if you find yourself in an emergency such as a fire.
- Call for assistance.
- If safe, rescue any persons in immediate danger and remove them to safety.
- Alert other Occupants and Emergency Services by either:
- Activating a manual call point (break glass alarm);
- Dialling triple zero ‘000’; or
- Notifying Security on 0408 334 555 of the emergency.
- If safe and within your ability, attempt to contain the emergency using first attack equipment (fire extinguisher, hoses etc).
- If unsafe, withdraw yourself from the area.
- Evacuate the area by the nearest safe exit.
Depending on the severity of the emergency, the following steps may not be suitable for all circumstances. Before taking any action, assess the risk and consider the consequences.
It is recommended all Market users save the contact number for Melbourne Market Security (0408 334 555) in their mobile phone.
Melbourne Market help celebrate a special birthday
The Melbourne Market have been long time partners and supporters of Zoos Victoria. Last week, Dewi the orang-utan celebrated her sixth birthday with tropical treats shared with all the orangutan family.
Dragon fruit, rambutans, mangosteens, star fruit, red papaya, and durian were the party goodies provided by the Melbourne Market.
Zoos Victoria are in the Market collecting produce from 6:00 – 8:30am Monday to Friday. If you would like to donate produce to the Zoo, contact Colin on 0400 893 843 to arrange a pick up direct from your store, stand or warehouse.
Foodbank Victoria Christmas and New Year collections.
Foodbank will not be collecting produce from the Market over the Christmas and New Year period. Below is the pick up and delivery schedule from the Melbourne Market during the holidays.
- Last pick up day: Monday, 19 December 2016.
- Normal pick up resumes: Monday, 9 January 2017.
Christmas Eve Market access for buyers
Process for collection of orders on Christmas Eve.
- Buyers can enter the Market on Saturday 24 December to collect pre-ordered stock as arranged with your supplier at any time (not only between 4:00am and 6:00am as previously noted).
- The Buyers’ Walk and Trading Floor will not be open for trade.
- Park in your regular parking bay, if it’s not available, park a nearby vacant bay or seek instructions on where to park from a Market Relations Officer.
- The Flower Market will be trading business as usual on Saturday morning.
Full details on the Christmas and New Year trading Hours are available on the Melbourne Market website here.
Congratulations to the following individuals on 40 years of service at the Market:
– Nicholas Sotiropoulos
– Paul George Patsuris
– John Boon
Congratulations to Kapiris Brothers who received the Chairman’s Award in the recent Northern Business Achievement Awards for their excellence across a wide range of categories including customer service, high level of training for their staff at all levels, innovation in their quality control, software solutions, community engagement and waste neutrality.
On-site forklift refresher training by Melbourne Polytechnic – new dates available!
Do your staff require extra training?
This on-site forklift refresher training will assist safety conscious organisations to keep their workers’ skills up to date and current. Training will provide workers with information about current WorkSafe regulations and/or legislation and standard operating procedures as well as site safety and safe driving principles.
Training will be at the Melbourne Market in 3 hour blocks over a 2 day period for a total of 6 hours.
- 13 and 14 December, 2016; or
- 15 and 16 December, 2016; or
- 21 and 22 December, 2016.
Time: 8.00am to 11.00am
Cost: $324.50 (includes GST)
At the end of the course participants will receive a certificate of participation.
For further information regarding course dates in 2017 please call 03 9269 8615 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
This week – come along to a free fitness seminar!
Michelle Reeves, accredited personal trainer and metabolic nutritionist, is running a FREE fat loss seminar at the Melbourne Market on Thursday, 15th December at 8:00am. Download the flyer to find out more information.
Date: Thursday 15 December
Time: 8:00am to 8:30am
Location: Melbourne Market Conference Room, ground floor Administration Building
Forklift refresher training
- 13 and 14 December, 2016
- 15 and 16 December, 2016
- 21 and 22 December, 2016.
Health and well being free seminar
- Thursday 15 December
Last day for Foodbank collections before Christmas
- Monday 19 December
Christmas Day and New Years public holidays
- Sunday 25 December – Christmas Day
- Monday 26 December – Boxing Day public holiday
- Tuesday 27 December – Christmas Day public holiday
- Sunday 1 January – New Years Day
- Monday 2 January – New Years Day public holiday
Ask the MMA
If you’ve got a question for the MMA email it to email@example.com.