This Week in the Market – 8 February 2022
|Edition 343 View this email in your browser|
|In this week’s Market News:|
– COVID Update
– Annual Access Card Renewal
– Melbourne Market Safety
Vaccination for Food Distribution Workers
A reminder that food distribution workers must receive their third dose of the COVID-19 vaccine by the following dates:
– If you were eligible to receive your third dose on or before January 12, you are required to get your third dose by 12 February, 2022.
– If you were not eligible to receive your third dose on or before January 12, you are required to get your third dose by 12 March, 2022.
You are eligible to receive a third dose of the COVID-19 vaccine if you received your second dose three or more months ago. (i.e. if you got your second dose on 1 October, you became eligible for your third dose on 1 January.)
These requirements do not apply to you if you are under the age of 18 years or you have a valid medical exemption.
Vaccination after contracting COVID-19
Vaccination is important to get maximum protection against further COVID-19 infection, even after you have had COVID-19.
The recommendation for vaccination after testing positive to COVID-19 has recently changed. Most people (including children aged 5 to 11) who have tested positive to COVID-19 can get a COVID-19 vaccine when:
– their acute symptoms resolve and they are feeling better (that is, they are able to return to normal activities), and
– they have completed their 7 days of isolation.
There is no recommended interval between COVID-19 recovery and receiving a vaccine dose. The Australian Technical Advisory Group on Immunisation (ATAGI) has no requirement to delay COVID-19 vaccination for people who have been infected with COVID-19.
– If a person was in hospital when they had COVID-19, they should speak with their doctor before receiving the COVID-19 vaccination.
– If a person has received specialised treatment for COVID-19 (for example, monoclonal antibodies or convalescent plasma), a 90-day interval is recommended before getting a COVID-19 vaccination.
– In some cases, people with severe and ongoing COVID-19 symptoms may require a medical exemption. This exemption can be for up to four months.
More information is available in ATAGI’s Expanded Guidance on temporary medical exemptions for COVID-19 vaccines.
Annual Access Card Renewal
All Melbourne Market access cards have a common expiry date of 30 April each year.
In previous years the MMA has asked market businesses to fill out and send back paper-based forms to let us know if any access cards linked to your business are no longer required before statements are distributed.
With the launch of the My MMA Portal, this process of removing unwanted access cards is now available to complete online with a simple click of a button, reducing unnecessary form filling. Before Monday 21 February, businesses should log onto their My MMA Portal and select any access cards they would like to de-activate from their business account to avoid unnecessary charges. Business Principals would have received an email outlining this process in more detail yesterday.
If you haven’t set up your business’s My MMA Portal account, contact Amanda Flannery at email@example.com or 0428 910 182 to nominate a business representative and confirm business details.
STICK TO THE APPROPRIATE SPEED LIMIT
The Speed limit for All vehicles travelling on First Street and Haymarket Road is 15kmph.
The Speed limit for All vehicles travelling on Badayla Road & Produce Drive is 40kmph.
Random speed checks are completed by the MMA at various locations around the site and at various times. Market users found travelling above the speed limit will be issued with an infringement.
A better choice! State Program Coordinator Zac was in the market at 3:30am Wednesday morning to do a join the 2021 Retailer of the Year, Chris Bruce from Alexandra Fruit and Vegetables on his morning retail run.
This was a chance for Zac to understand more about the life of a retailer and see how the market operates at this time. On Chris’ shopping list were tri-coloured corn, sugar kiss melons and sweet sapphire grapes.
Chris puts immense value on sourcing quality produce which is an important reason for his loyal customer base. Chris has built good relationships with many growers over almost 10 years coming to the market.
Please say hi to Chris or Zac any time you see them in the Market!
A better choice! Retailer Survey
Congratulations to Rosemary at Devola’s of Brighton who was the winner of a $500 Gold Class Cinema Voucher to use with her store, just for filling out the retailer survey on the recent Youth Sports Initiative Campaign. Thanks to all other stores who completed the survey.
ABC Ongoing Activities
The A better choice! team are working steadily behind the scenes on some exciting things, including activating some new members, printing new recipe cards and an Autumn promotion which will be rolled out in-stores in April. In the interim, Zac will be out in-stores getting to know our retail members. Should you need anything A better choice! related, please don’t hesitate to reach out to Zac directly.
Valentine’s Day is next Monday. Don’t forget to head over to the Flower Market to find the perfect bunch of flowers for that special someone.
The Come and Get Your Love campaign is now in full swing, with instore, social media and radio advertising encouraging consumers to head to their local florist to pick up their loved ones beautiful, fresh and homegrown flowers.
You can listen to one of our radio advertisements here.
Nominate the next Australian Farmer of the Year
Nominations are now open for the Australian Farmer of the Year. Individuals and families involved in farming enterprises or rural communities can nominate themselves or be nominated by a third party. The 2022 awards contain seven categories, and applications close on Sunday 13 February.
For more information or to nominate a farmer, click here. Industry NewsGet connected in the world of grapes
The Global Grape Congress, which will be held online on 17 March, features experts from all over the world who will share their insight into the main trends and challenges in the table grape category.
Click here to find out more.
Microwave weed killer set to make impact in horticulture
An Aussie ag-tech start up is looking to harness the considerable promise of microwave energy as a weed-killer on a commercial scale in the horticulture sector. Trials have long demonstrated proof of concept with the use of microwave energy to kill weeds, however bridging the gap between the trial phase and commercialisation had proved difficult, primarily due to the energy costs required.
Click here to find out more.
Melbourne Market Job Board
Do you have a vacancy to fill in your business?
Email firstname.lastname@example.org for the position to be placed on our online job board.
Looking for a new role? Check out the online job board via the button below.
View full online job board
Biodynamic Marketing requires a qualified forklift driver two nights a week.
– Sunday/Monday and Wednesday/Thursday
– Hours and wages are negotiable
For further information and to apply, contact Peter – 0408 390 751
Mildura Fresh Marketing
Various Full-time Positions – Storeperson / Forklift Drivers / Stock Controller
Mildura Fresh Marketing is a reputable vegetable wholesaler located at the Melbourne Markets in Epping. We are looking for reliable & motivated people to join our team.
What we can offer you:
– Secure employment
– Negotiable salary
– Fun & dynamic work environment
We have several Full-time roles available.
Key responsibilities are outlined below but are not limited to:
Store person / General Hand
– Making up & preparing orders for delivery
– Setting up our produce display and maintaining store appearance
– Assisting delivery drivers where required
– Delivering customer orders within the market
– Transporting produce from our warehouse to trading floor
– Setting up and maintaining store’s produce display
– Where required, assist with making up orders to ensure prompt delivery to customers
– Receiving and checking incoming stock against supplier paperwork
– Performing quality checks and reporting any issues
– Putting away stock in our coolrooms and ensuring stock is rotated
– Communicating with the sales team on stock levels and requirements
– Carrying out stocktake
– Driver’s & forklift license
– Proof of vaccination
– Able to work nightshift from 12am Monday and 1am Tuesday – Friday
– Available to start immediately
– Have a strong work ethic and am able to work in a fast-paced environment
– Strong attention to detail
– Physically capable to lift 5 to 10kgCarry out safe work practices
– Market experience will be advantageous but is not essential as training will be provided.
Please email your resume to Carol Williams email@example.com.
If you have any queries regarding the role, please ring Carol 0432 583 045 or Phil 0400 202 668.
Ask the MMA
If you’ve got a question for the MMA email it to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
|Copyright © 2021 Melbourne Market Authority, All rights reserved.|
You are receiving this email because you are on the Melbourne Market Authority distribution list.
Our mailing address is:
*Box 1, 55 Produce Drive, Epping, VIC, 3076*
update subscription preferences