Major power shut down of Market on Saturday 2 September- what you need to know.
MAJOR POWER SHUT DOWN OF MARKET ON SATURDAY 2 SEPTEMBER 2017
On Saturday 2 September, the Melbourne Market will be undergoing routine maintenance for the high voltage power supply.
This means the entire Market site will have no power for the duration of the maintenance period.
Here’s what you need to know:
Why is this maintenance happening?
This maintenance is required to maintain network integrity and has been scheduled in early spring to help keep coolrooms at a consistent temperature during the outage.
What times will the power outage occur?
Between 11:00am to 3:00pm on Saturday 2 September.
What do I need to do before the shut down?
- Keep doors closed prior to shut down to retain desired temperature as long as possible. As the shut down is scheduled for four hours, temperatures won’t change dramatically in cool rooms over the shut down period if PIR doors are kept closed.
- It is recommended stock holdings are minimised over this weekend or stored off site if possible.
Cafes and other food outlets
- For cafes and other businesses with perishables in refrigerators it is recommended these are removed and stored offsite at close of business on Friday 1 September to avoid any losses.
Computer equipment and offices
- All electronic equipment such as computers, laptops and point of sale systems are to be switched off and all data should be saved and/or backed up.
- Don’t forget to remove all perishables from office refrigerators.
What do I need to do after the shut down?
All Market tenants with cooling will need to check with their cool room supplier whether their cooling system will automatically resume once power has been restored at 3:00pm on Saturday 2 September.
If your system does not automatically resume, you will need to either be onsite yourself to check the system or have your contractor do this on your behalf.
Can I still access the site during the shut down? If so, what restrictions will there be?
Yes, all access card holders can still access the site, however the site will be restricted to essential access only. All Market users entering the site will be required to enter via Gate 1 only.
Access to internal buildings within the Market will be restricted due to low light and the majority of restrooms on site will be closed. There will be restrooms available and these locations will be communicated to Market users prior to the shut down.
I need power during this time, what can I do?
If you need power during this time, you can hire a generator, at the cost of the tenant. Each generator on site must be registered via the Market Help Desk and must have a prescribed electrical certificate of safety.
For further details on accessing a generator for the power shut down, contact the Help Desk on 0437 006 459. Please note, it is recommended you organise your generator a minimum of 10 days prior to the power shut down.
I have deliveries scheduled for Saturday, can they still enter the site?
To maintain cool temperatures within your tenancy, we would recommend not entering your premise during the shut down, this means deliveries should be rescheduled where possible.
If you have deliveries coming to the site during this time, you will need to alert your driver of the power outage and to follow instruction of the Market Relations Officers on site.